Pepper, a German short haired pointer and black lab mix, joined our family in early February. One cuddly, ball of love with the puppy dog eyes that said, “Take me home. Love me,” Pepper stole our hearts at the dog shelter.
Now, however, after having him home for four months, I believe those eyes say something different: “Look out! I’m mischief.”
In the past 16 weeks, Pepper has taught me many things.
1. A nap in the middle of the afternoon is a good thing.
2. Make sure all used paper towels, napkins, and tissues are thrown away immediately OR they will become chew toys.
3. Take time to smell the roses, or in Pepper’s case, the road, every twig, every little thing that he comes across.
4. There is always a little time to play.
5. Greet everyone with happiness and excitement because they are happy to see you.
6. Sometimes a blanket is your best friend. You can always share your frustrations with it.
7. A spot of sunshine is great to curl up in.
8. Treats are good for you.
9. Drink water, and lots of it. (I don’t know how many times I fill his water bowl a day.)
10. It’s fun to go exploring – under the bed, behind the couch, in the garage.
11. A walk outside is good for you.
12. Make as many friends as you can and value their friendship.
13. If you don’t ask, you’ll never know. (Pepper is constantly bringing me different toys to play fetch with or tug -of-war with.)
14. A snuggle in the morning is good for your spirits.
15. Puppy classes are a necessity.
BONUS: The cat is a great play toy.
As you move through your day to day activities and responsibilities, please remember to
live life –
keep things simple –
look for the positive –